Our Beliefs and Values
Declaration of Faith
Lighthouse Full Gospel Church of God is part of the Church of God Denomination headquartered out of Cleveland, Tennessee (www.churchofgod.org). The Church of God believes the whole Bible to be completely and equally inspired and that it is the written Word of God. The Church of God has adopted the following Declaration of Faith as its standard and official expression of its doctrine.
- In the verbal inspiration of the Bible.
- In one God eternally existing in three persons; namely, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
- That Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. That Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead. That He ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as the Intercessor.
- That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
- That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
- In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.
- Holiness to be God’s standard of living for His people.
- In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.
- In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
- In water baptism by immersion, and all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
- Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
- In the Lord’s Supper and washing of the saints’ feet.
- In the premillennial second coming of Jesus. First, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air. Second, to reign on the earth a thousand years.
- In the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.
These values are non-negotiable characteristics of our church. Our values help us determine what ministries to start, where to spend our time, where to spend our money, and so much more.
We believe there is nothing more important than strong united families. We believe in early Christian formation of children and youth. We believe in providing programs relative to the needs of all age groups. We believe that the local congregation involvement should be an enrichment to the home.
We believe excellence honors God and inspires greatness. We believe that every ministry must strive for excellence. We believe that excellence in our ministries and personal lives is a proper reflection of God at work in us.
We believe that loving relationships should fill every aspect of church life. We believe in the unity of the body of Christ. We believe the church is a family. We believe in the power of small groups and bible studies to facilitate strong relationships. We believe integrity in the lives and ministries of our members requires that we provide for accountability relationships.
We believe in equipping the saints for ministry and life by helping them to operate in their spiritual gifts. We recognize and encourage God-given gifts in all women, and all men, regardless of background. We believe, and strongly affirm, education. We believe that through the educational process, the body, mind, and spirit, are enhanced for the greater development of the kingdom of God.
We believe that full devotion to Christ and His cause are normal for every believer. We value our right standing before God through Christ as being righteous, without sin; and we contend for a life free of willful sin and disobedience to Christ. We believe in a personal, daily relationship with Christ. We require our church leadership to exemplify a history of personal faithfulness to their marriage vows from the point of conversion on. We believe that every Christian should mature and use his/her gifts in the local church.
We believe that teaching and doctrine should be balanced on the historical roots of Christianity that shaped the theology and orthodoxy of the faith. Sound doctrine is held in high esteem. We believe that we should express our faith with a balance of head and heart, intellect and emotion. We believe that our Biblical principles are not in need of affirmation or acceptance by culture.
We believe in the Biblical pattern of tithing a tenth of our income and in addition giving offerings toward the advancement of the Kingdom of God. We believe in the spontaneity of the workings of the Holy Spirit—balanced, proved, and established on the Word of God.
We believe that character is more important than talent. We will stand by all efforts to be reliable and accurate on all accounts spoken or sold. We believe power is potentially dangerous. Our leaders must be careful not to abuse those they lead and must have a strong accountability system. We believe the church must uphold its character with accountability also. Our relationship with the Church of God International Denomination headquartered out of Cleveland, Tennessee is non-negotiable. The system of accountability within and outside the church are valued and considered essential to the maintenance of our church. www.churchofgod.org
We believe that an effective church serves its community and treats everyone with love, respect, and dignity. We believe in the church as a force. The church should not be a private, individualized or personal matter. His body should be His heart, hands, feet, and mouth in our community. We believe in the liberty to express our unique, God-given call to our community as a congregation. We believe in focusing more on meeting the needs of people than on preserving or growing our institution. Buildings, programs, ideas, and goals are all secondary to people. We believe in being culturally relevant, yet remaining doctrinally pure.
Worship, Prayer and Fasting
We believe that as believers we have a responsibility to respond to the presence of God during worship. We believe that worship should be done in spirit and truth with all our hearts. We believe that heartfelt worship prepares our hearts and minds to receive the Word of God. We believe in the power of prayer and fasting and that it makes a critical difference in all we attempt to achieve. We believe that prayer and fasting are vital keys to success in our personal and professional lives. We believe in having an intercessory prayer ministry that holds our church up in prayer on a regular basis.
We believe the love for others and the recognition of the equal worth of all people in the sight of God should compel us to take steps to improve the situation of those who are underprivileged, neglected, hungry, homeless and victimized by prejudice, persecution, and oppression. We must be sensitive to human needs and guard against racial and economic discrimination. Every person should have freedom to worship and participate in the life of the church regardless of race, color, sex, social class or nationality. At Lighthouse Full Gospel Church of God, we treat all people equally regardless of their background.